Friday, January 6, 2012

Left-Over Beauty I

Left-Over Beauty is this new thing I'm trying :
          Using Left-Over Fabrics from my orders to create more looks!

This is only part one, there will be more and more to come :)
((Wish me luck!))

Grace (Yeeun) Kim ordered a mini-fitted skirt with the color blue.
I found this great velvet fabric and bought a strip of elastic to make her a skirt!
((No pictures yet! :( More story when the pics come out))

NOTE:

I always buy an excess of fabric in case I messed up on draping or cutting the fabric.

I believe everybody  does that right? :)

Therefore I have many many many MANY excess of fabrics left and it only gets more whenever I finish a look.


So I decided to give those sad fabrics a new life!

Here's what I did:


Rachel Huang wearing MEECHEER's velvet draped top and legging.
Photo by MEECHEER
((hmmm this is a spontaneous shoot so.. just ignore the background :p ))
 Click on FIND OUT MORE to read more of the article
Thanks! :)




INSPIRED BY:

EVERYDAY WEAR.


The Velvet Top:

I had just the amount to make the front of the top, but not so much the back.

I came up with the idea to match the lace cut-out with the legging I initially made.

I had the selvages of the fabric and incorporate them into the design to add a touch of "slimness".


Hand-draped top! (Front)
  I Had a lot of fun draping garments for the first time!
It turned out to be much easier than cutting patterns out of tissue papers or drafting them from scratch.
((Whewww))



Cut-out back with selvage incorporated.
 The selvages of the lace and the velvet can both be seen in this look.

It is a new idea certainly, to use selvages because we usually cut them off when sewing and toss them away.

Luckily, I kept them this time and found it rather decorative!



The Legging:


Heels! Chinese Laundry. ((this came up a lot, just because it is super stylish))
 The legging was designed to be asymmetrical on the two legs.

Turned out:

Mom: "Are the lines matching? I thought you want them to be not matching?"
Rachel: "Did you not match the lines??"

Okay, I didn't execute this as I thought I could.

It was just off by a little not a lot, what i wanted.

Anyway, the legging has 3 kinds of fabric- knit striped black , the velvet blue and and lace.

The lace fabric is actually from the White Collection! :D

http://meecheerhuang.blogspot.com/2011/08/white-fashion-show.html

Voila!

Lace can be seen on Rachel's dress, the skirt.


Some sewing techniques:

To make a perfect and sharp angle on the legging-Opposing Corners.

An awesome technique that I learned from Pasadena City College's FASH 1A class.

((

Kind of hard to explain.

if you all want to learn how-to, COMMENT! :D

I will have a demo.

))


Back to the legging, it actually has 3stripes- Lace, velvet blue and velvet blue again.

Can't really see them, but there you have it. :)

Total Cost of     fabric       :

I would say the top would be $15 , $12 for the legging.

This is it for the sharing of my work!

For more pictures go to the new Page : MORE MEECHEER !


A QUICK REPORT on the runway:

COLOR BLOCKing is BACK!



Bon Vaccances!

Thank you Grace!! Je t'aime <3

XOXO
MEECHEER

Quilted with Indigo

MEECHEER Quilted Denim Sweater with fur lining in hood Took 2 hrs to quilt the front and back. This is so worth it. xoxo Meecheer Huang